What is CIN Number?
Corporate Identification Number or Corporate Identity Number (CIN) is a 21 digit alpha-numeric number provided to all Private Limited Companies, One Person Companies, Companies owned by Government of India, State Government Companies, Not-for-Profit, Nidhi Companies, etc. registered in India. CIN number is a unique identification number that is given by RoC (Registrar of Companies) of various states under MCA (Ministry of Corporate Affairs). CIN number is assigned to companies registered in India by RoC located in states across the nation.
CIN number is used to track all the activities of an enterprise after its registration by RoC. This number contains the identity of an organization and additional information regarding registered company under RoC. Company’s information can be accessed using 21 digit alpha numeric unique identification number by RoC.
CIN consists of important details, such as
- Year of Incorporation (Example: 2020)
- State code (Example: DL- Delhi)
- Type of Company (Example: PLC – Public Limited Company)
- Listing status (Example: L – Listed)
This information can also be found on Certificate of Incorporation.
Decoding CIN number
CIN number which is divided into 6 sections which are explained below with the help of a sample CIN number:
U 12345 DL 2020 PLC 098765
- U: Listing Status
- 12345: Industry Code
- DL: State Code
- 2020: Incorporation Year
- PLC: Ownership
- 098765: Registration Number
First section signifies the listing status of the company. If the company is listed then alphabet will be ‘L’ and if unlisted the status will be ‘U’. Next section or 5 digits represents the industry code. Company doing business in any industry is assigned a unique industry code by RoC. Next two digits denote State Code where the company has been registered under Registrar of Companies with its registered office being at specified state. After state code appear the year of incorporation of the company which uses 4 extra digits in CIN number. Then next three digits signify the type of the company being Private or Limited Company, Government of India, Not-for-profit, One Person Company or Company of State Government. Final six digits represent the RoC code of the company and all these elements combine to form a 21 digit unique CIN number.
Note: Limited Liability Company (LLP) does not use CIN. They are provided with LLPIN.
Also Read: Online Company Registration Process in India
Usage of CIN number
CIN number is used for tracking all the aspects of a registered company from its date of incorporation from RoC. This unique number/code is mainly used during audits and presenting reports or any form submission to MCA. CIN is required to be printed on company’s official publications, invoices, e-form on MCA’s website, letterheads, memos, notices and bills. This number can also be used for tracking and identifying companies for information related purposes which are already with RoC or MCA.
Obtaining a CIN number
Company can get a CIN number by visiting the official website of MCA. Filling in application form and depositing all the required documents. Finally, submitting the payment to receive CIN number after review and approval from MCA.
Factors that lead to change in CIN number
- If there is any change in the listing status of a company
- If there is any change in the location or state of the registered office of India
- If the industry of the company changes
- If the sector of the company changes
Abbreviations in CIN number
- FLC: Financial Lease Company as Public Limited
- FTC: Subsidiary of a Foreign Company as Private Limited Company
- GAP: General Association Public
- GAT: General Association Private
- GOI: Companies owned by Government of India
- NPL: Not-for-Profit License Company
- PLC: Public Limited Company
- PTC: Private Limited Company
- SGC: Companies owned by State Government
- ULL: Public Limited Company with Unlimited Liability
- ULT: Private Company with Unlimited Liability
Penalty for Non-Compliance
If the above mentioned requirements are not met or if a company does not apply for CIN number, there is a penalty charge of Rs. 1000 per day on company and every officer and the maximum penalty charge is limited to Rs. 1 lakh.